Monster Racing via Twitter
Joe Gibbs Racing threw down the gauntlet on Saturday.
In the opening Daytona 500 practice, all four JGR drivers, in their Toyotas, finished in the top 5, in this order:
- First: Kyle Busch (199.743 mph) in the No. 18 Joe Gibbs Racing Toyota.
- Second: Denny Hamlin (199.623 mph), No. 11 Toyota
- Third: Daniel Suarez (199.610 mph) in the No. 19 Toyota
- Fourth: Erik Jones (199.517 Mph) in the No. 20 Toyota
Austin Dillon, in the No. 3 Richard Childress Racing Chevrolet, was fifth fastest at 197.278 mph, NASCAR.com reported.
The Cup series practice was in stark contrast to the Clash practice, which was dominated by Ford.
In the Clash practice, Ryan Blaney’s 199.601 topped the leaderboard in the No. 12 Team Penske Ford, and Ford drivers were right behind him, in this order:
- Joey Logano (199.543 mph) in the No. 22 Team Penske Ford
- Ricky Stenhouse Jr. (199.508 mph) in the No. 17 Roush Fenway Racing Ford
- Brad Keselowski (199.490 mph) in the No. 2 Team Penske Ford
Toyota couldn’t even crack the Top 5. Kyle Larson, in the No. 42 Chip Ganassi Racing Chevrolet, clocked 199.468 mph. The best Toyota finish? Kyle Busch at No. 8.
This is setting up an exciting Daytona week!