Richard Childress Racing is left one car short after losing a driver

Paul Menard’s departure from Richard Childress Racing leaves the team with only two Cup drivers for the 2018 season.

Only Ryan Newman and Austin Dillon are signed on to race for the team after Menard left for Wood Brothers Racing. Team owner Richard Childress said in a statement that he will announce plans for a third Cup team “at a later date.”

“Paul Menard and Menards, Inc. have had a partnership with RCR for seven years. Together, we have enjoyed a tremendous amount of success, including Paul’s emotional win at Indianapolis in 2011,” Childress said. “He is a very talented driver and a good friend. Everyone at RCR wishes both Paul and Menards nothing but the best in the future.

“Our entire RCR organization is 100 percent focused on getting all three of our Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series programs in the playoffs this year, and bringing another Cup championship to RCR in 2017.

“We will be announcing our plans for a third Cup team and our overall 2018 team lineup at a later date.”

It’s been a successful seasons for Richard Childress Racing so far as both Newman and Dillon will be in the playoffs. Menard will need a win over the next few weeks to reach the postseason.

Several teams have replaced veteran drivers with young, up-and-coming drivers, but RCR could turn to a veteran such as Matt Kenseth to replace Menard.

(h/t NBC Sports)

Check Also

Ford mulling Formula E entry as early as next season

Soon, another brand could find its way to the Formula E grid: Ford. The automaker is reportedly very interested in participating in the electric-car motorsport, and it could show up as early as next season. If Ford does join Formula E, it would become the first American automaker to do so. e-Racing365 reported on Ford's possible entry last Monday. A Formula...

Kevin Harvick is dominating early in the NASCAR season

A new driver is playing the role of Martin Truex Jr. early this year.