McLaren has no plans to build an SUV to challenge Lamborghini, Ferrari

McLaren Composites Technology Center (MCTC) report published on Wednesday.

Although the brand has plans for 12 new cars between now and 2022, none of them will take the shape of a high-riding SUV. And McLaren head designer Dan Parry-Williams trounced the idea.

“I’m not the first person to point out an SUV is neither particularly sporty or utilitarian,” he said. He also said the segment does not cultivate McLaren’s design ideal of “everything for a reason.”

We’ve heard similarly brash tones from Ferrari over its own utility vehicle, specifically from chairman Sergio Marchionne. Once a hard “no” on a Ferrari SUV, the now-confirmed “Ferrari Utility Vehicle” we be one of Marchionne’s final projects before leaving the brand in 2021. Although an SUV follows none of Ferrari’s pedigree, the chairman assured loyalists it will drive like a Ferrari. And, of course, there’s the Lamborghini Urus, which seems less sacrilegious only because of the rough-and-tumble LM002 SUV of 1986-1993. Still, it’s a far cry from the brand’s other products like the Hurac├ín Performante.

All of McLaren’s future cars will ride on one of three architectures and continue to fall under the Sport Series, Super Series, or Ultimate Series groupings. Even if McLaren pulled a 180, none of the platforms would support a utility vehicle.

Check Also

US McLaren Sennas are louder than European models

The U.S. often gets downgraded versions of high-performance cars. Be it the 5-mph impact bumpers of the 1970s or down-powered engines forced to meet emissions regulations, we are sometimes left jealous of the European versions of certain cars. Today is a different day, though, because this time the U.S. gets the good one. The US-spec McLaren Senna is louder...

McLaren confirms Carlos Sainz as Fernando Alonso’s replacement

Formula 1 driver Carlos Sainz will join McLaren for the 2019 season. The Bahraini government-owned team said Thursday it signed a multi-year contract with Sainz, who will fill the seat of Fernando Alonso who announced Tuesday he will step down from F1 after the current season. Sainz currently drives for Renault but was confirmed earlier this month to be...