Lamborghini CEO confirms plug-in hybrid power for Aventador, Huracán successors

Lamborghini Terzo Millennio concept

Lamborghini hasn’t been shy about its plans to electrify its successors to the Aventador and Huracán, currently thought to be arriving around 2020 and 2022 respectively.

The automaker has little choice as electrification is seen as the only means to preserve big engines like the V-10s and V-12s, which Lamborghini will keep for at least one more generation.

But Lamborghini won’t simply rely on simple mild hybrid setups for its future models. In an interview with magazine published Friday, Lamborghini CEO Stefano Domenicali said the automaker will use plug-in hybrid technology, meaning some electric range will be possible.

The biggest problem with the route Lamborghini has selected is weight, something the automaker’s R&D chief Maurizio Reggiani is well aware of.

“The big questions are packaging and weight,” he told magazine in the same interview.

But given the rapid advancements being made in battery technology, weight may not be as big as an issue as we saw in the first generation of plug-in hybrid supercars, like the McLaren P1 and Porsche 918 Spyder. In fact, Domenicali also revealed that Lamborghini is exploring solid state batteries, which promise to be much lighter than lithium-ion batteries yet capable of holding more charge.

As for what comes after plug-in hybrids, Lamborghini has already given a taste with 2017’s Terzo Millennio electric supercar concept, which Domenicali said could potentially be ready for production—technology-wise—by around 2026. But according to Domenicali, Lamborghini is also exploring the potential of hydrogen-powered supercars.

Check Also

John Cena’s 2017 Ford GT takes 6-figure hit on latest sale

The 2017 Ford GT originally commissioned by actor and pro-wrestler John Cena crossed a Mecum auction block in Dallas last week, fetching $1,320,000 in the process, a steep discount to the $1,540,000 it sold for during Russo and Steele's Monterey Car Week auction just in August. We'll remind you that this is the car that Ford sued Cena over late last year...

Devel Sixteen reportedly not even close to production

Dubai-based Devel is reportedly a far cry from producing the 5,007-horsepower Devel Sixteen supercar, and a notable engineering company is no longer working with the company. Road & Track reported on Tuesday that a source claimed the car is indefinitely stuck in development. Since the project's inception, the Garella-family's Manufattura Automobili...